Winter in North Norway
Winter in North Norway
Day 1 Welcome to Norway
Rendez vous at your accommodation in Tromsø. This cultural city, north of the arctic circle has an interesting history and is renowned as a viewing point for the Northern Lights. Dinner and evening at leisure.
Accommodation: Guesthouse or hotel
Meals not included
Days 2 to 3 Optional Excursions
Explore the surrounding area or enjoy the charming small city of Tromsø which is very lively during the winter. There are lots of museums to visit like the Polar Museum which retraces tge history of Arctic Explorers. We recommend taking a detour to the Arctic Cathedral and riding the Fjellheisen cable car up to Mount Storsteinen (420m) where you can admire panoramic views of the city, waterways and surrounding mountains.
We have a variety of possible excursions to enhance your stay in Tromso
- Safari at sea, by boat or zodiac
- Reindeer safari with sami lunch
- Aurores Boréales : Shorter and longer excursions possible
- Northern Lights encampement experience
- Snowshoe rental (without guide)
- Snowmobile Safari
- Dog sledding
You can find more information about these activities under the 'PERIOD & BUDGET' tab. Please note that all excurions options are weather dependant and, although Tromso is a fantastic place for observing the Northern Lights, there is no guarauntee that you will be able to observe this natural phenomenon.
Warning: cetacean sightings in the area of Tromsø and Senja are not guaranteed. In the past year, whales have remained further north making it very difficult to observe them in the Tromsø and Senja areas.
Accommodation: Guesthouse or Hotel
Day 4 Tromso / Finnsnes / Mefjordvaer
It is a 75 minute crossing from Tromso to Finnsnes on the island of Senja (Saturday at 3pm or Tuesday at 4:15pm). From here, is is a hour scenic drive to your accommodation passing some of Senja Islands most beautiful features.
Breakfast and dinner included
Day 5 Senja Island
After breakfast, you join your guide and a small group of travellers to make the most of the daylight hours and enjoy a snowshoe outing exploring the fabulous surroundings.
If you want to discover Senja Island with sled dogs, then you can opt for the husky version of this outing** (150 € extra / person)
At the end of the day, after a hearty Norwegian dinner, your guide create a poetic moment immersing you in the wild arctic environment. Then, you can join your guide on a magical outing in search of Aurora borealis on this Northern island without any light pollution...
3 hours of daylight snowshoeing or hiking depending on the conditions
2-3 hours Northern Lights outing
All meals included
Day 6 Senja Island
After breakfast, you leave by boat to further explore the island and its coast with the group and your guide. This unusual exploration showcases how the landscapes appear to vary dramatically with the changing light conditions. This afternoon, enjoy a relaxing moment in a Nordic bath or sauna and connect to the peaceful secluded environment around you. After dinner, your guide will propose a bus journey or hike to enjoy the surrounding landscapes and tell you about nature on Senja Island. Possibility to relax in a sauna upon your return.
3 hour boat trip
All meals included
Day 7 Mefjordvaer / Tromso
After breakfast (10am) we leave for Finnsnes (1 hour). From here, you board a Hurtigruten boat which arrives at Tromso at 2;30pm. Make your way to your accommodation and enjoy a final evening in this intriguing city.
Accommodation: Guesthouse or Hotel
Day 8 Farewell Norway
Make your way to the airport by bus or taxi for your return flights.
Period & budget
When to travel?
The best period for travelling is during the following months:
The budget is an indication of the price per person, subject to availability. Your local agent will send you a customized quote with the exact price. The price can vary according to availability, level of services, period of travel, number of participants, booking time frame and other items.
- Accommodation in double or twin rooms
- Your Hurtigruten boat transfer Finnsnes-Tromso
- Vehicle transfers between Finnsnes and Mefjordvaer
- Breakfasts in Tromsø
- Full board in Mefjordvaer from dinner Day 4 to breakfast Day 7
- All activities detailed in your programme, lead by a qualified, English-speaking, guide
- International flights
- Registration fee: €18 (free for under 12s)
- Airport transfers
- Transfers to Tromso Port
- Boat transfer Tromso / Finnsnes (320NOK~35€/pers)
- Drinks, tips and meals not included/mentioned in the programme
- Snowmobiling: Explore the Skibotn Valley by snowmobile and enjoy alternating views of the Lyngen Alps and the Arctic Sea...
- Dog-sledding: Drive your own dog-sled and become a Norwegian Musher through simply stunning landscapes...
- The Northern Lights Excursion: Leave the city and increase your chances of seeing the dancing lights under expert supervision...
- Northern Lights Encampment: Leave the light pollution of the city behind and spend the night in a charming Lavvu tent with a fire beneath the northern lights...
- Reindeer safari with sami lunch: Discover sami traditions in the heart of the mountains among the peaceful reindeer of the Lyngen Alps...
- Self-guided snowshoeing: Further explore the arctic world around Tromso on snowshoes and hike up to stunning viewpoints...
- Whale-watching boat trip: Explore Norways famously dramatic coastline and cruise through waters where whales frequent...
Explanantion of difficulty level
Terms and conditions
- Cancellation received more than 30 days prior to the departure date: a sum of €50 per person will be retained
- Cancellation received 30 to 21 days before the departure date: your deposit, 30% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received 20 to 14 days before the departure date: 50% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received 13 to 7 days before the departure date: 75% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received less than 7 days before the departure date: 100% of the total trip price will be retained
Modification du contrat
Prix et révision des prix
Cession du contrat
Budget & exchange
- Warm snow boots (Sorel)
- A quality winter jacket and overtrousers (to wear in addition to, not instead of, your warm clothes)
- For snowmobiling and dog-sledding: Warm over-layers (jacket with hood, trousers, boots and helmet)
- For the Northern Lights Camping excursion: Sleeping bags and reindeer skins are provided
- Several sets of good thermals - tops & long johns (it is useful always have spare dry thermals at hand)
- A ski mask
- Sunglasses (high quality protection)
- A warm wind and waterproof jacket
- Suitable warm trousers - windproof ski style, soft shell or fleece lined mountaineering trousers are ideal
- Suitable underwear, t-shirts and walking trousers
- Warm jumper(s) and jacket(s)
- Sun cream for face and lips (not water based, water freezes)
- A headtorch and spare batteries
- Warm thick socks
- Gloves - multiple pairs of under and over gloves - think warm, waterproof and windproof
- A warm hat
- A balaclava
- Appropriate neck wear like a warm buff
- Any personal medication
- Towel & toiletries
- A thermos/suitable water bottle
- A sleeping bag liner
- Warm snow boots
- No cotton
- Bring dry spares of everything, even underwear and gloves
- Wear multiple layers including:
- A warm breathable base layer
- A second thermal layer
- Wind and waterproof protective out layer (we provide an additional quality jacket and over trousers.
- A pair of warm comfortable shoes for evenings in town
- Your swim stuff
- Extra gloves/overgloves
- An extra jumper/fleece jacket
- Blister plasters
- A suitable camera
- Plastic bags for wet/dirty clothing
- Personal medication
- Anti pain medication Paracetamol
- Diarrhoea drugs
- Intestinal dressing
- Sun screen with strong protection for the lips and the skin
- Eye drops for the eyes
- Moisturizing cream for the treatment of superficial burns (blisters and sunburns)
- An adhesive elastic banda box of adhesive plasters and disinfectant compresses
- Double skin for blisters
- Be prepared
- Stick to trails and camp overnight right
- Stash your trash and pick up waste
- Leave it as you find it
- Be careful with fire
- Respect wildlife
- Be considerate of other visitors